Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've seen a design pattern pop up now and again on the web and mobile apps. It's a "rainbow" pattern across the top about 5 pixels high.

For a great example, check out

Anyone have any idea what this is useful for or what type of effect they're trying to accomplish?

share|improve this question
I wouldn't call this a design pattern. It's just something some people use as a color accent, I don't think there's a hidden agenda or anything by it. It's just something -- an entity, part of the design, nothing more. – Johannes May 21 '12 at 22:22
up vote 1 down vote accepted

It's merely a visual separator. Probably multi-colored to help promote a sense of fun. There's no technical use for it and if you see it repeated, its merely because it's becoming "trendy".

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.