Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Does anyone know a way of addding a square background to text in photoshop? I want something like the same effect that is on subtitles in movies.

See examples below. I can do it with adding a new layer with a black square and reduced opacity behind, but it seems so "hackish" and its difficult to get the same offset, correct position etc.

Is there a simpler way? Something like a "squared stroke" blending option?

Hmmm.. wasnt allowed to post images :\

Word calls it "Text Highlight"


Mancester city uses it on their newspage (probably not photoshop though).


share|improve this question

Simply use the Shape tools within Photoshop to draw boxes, then move those layers below the type layers.

There's no automated method to add an encompassing shape around text that I'm aware of. You simply have to use multiple layers.

Now in Illustrator.... It is possible.

An example of the above technique in Photoshop using 50% opacity on the background:

Example of transparent background in Photoshop

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.