Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I see this type of background a lot: enter image description here

It's usually a light gray with slightly darker gray specks, but this is a pretty dark grey with lighter gray specks. How is this sort of thing done in photoshop?

I've asked around before and was told to try rendering clouds and then applying the mosaic pixelation, but that didn't work out too well. I've tried various things but haven't been able to come up with anything similar.

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

I´ll tell you what I did (also with add noise) but with some more flexibility afterwards:

Make a new document, 200px/200px (depending on your aim with black or white background, both works) > apply the Add Noise filter on a new layer as smart-object with 10%, check gaussian, and monochromatic > click ok. Now you can define the opacity of the noise in the layer palette. change the opacity to 20% > edit > define as pattern. now also do it with 40%,60%,80% and 100% and always save it as pattern.

After that you go to the layer options of the layer you want to add the effect and then you can customize the opacity directly, see how it looks and play around with the methods.

share|improve this answer

This effect is built into Photoshop:

Filter>Noise>Add noise

share|improve this answer
You can add a gaussian blur afterwards to soften it – user5193 Jul 16 '12 at 10:39

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.