Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I can get this effect very easily in Photoshop using the stroke layer style and making it a shape burst gradient, but I want to be able to do it in illustrator so the stroke around the text can be a separate editable path. Is it possible to do this in illustrator?


share|improve this question
up vote 5 down vote accepted

You can simply add new strokes, each increasing in size, via the Appearance Panel.


Note, the strokes are all below the <Characters> item in the panel.

The initial white stroke is used to create the negative space around the characters themselves.

If you then want independent paths for each color, follow these steps:

Object> Expand Appearance
Object > Ungroup
Object > Expand
Object > Ungroup
Object > Expand
Pathfinder Panel > Merge

That will result in a separate shape for each color with the contour of the characters.


share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.