Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am new to illustrator, if this is too basic do provide links for me (tutorial). I've made a shape, and I put styles on the layer, gradient, color overlay, opacity reduced, I know how to copy the shape, but to get the exact same gradient, opacity, how to do it? it's like a blend of styles.

share|improve this question

There's no way to transfer Layer Style settings directly from Photoshop to Illustrator.

The best you can do is make note of the settings in Photoshop, then recreate the appearance settings in Illustrator.

share|improve this answer
I can do that to all of the effect? – Umair Ibrahim Sep 4 '12 at 23:05
It depends on what exactly is involved in the layer style. You didn't really provide a detailed description. Illustrator does have gradients, strokes, drop shadows, glows, etc. But there are some items, such as Bevel & Emboss which are not as easily created with Illustrator. – Scott Sep 5 '12 at 0:18
okay let say gradients, how to remake them? where can I see the setting in photoshop and how to remake them in illustrator. – Umair Ibrahim Sep 6 '12 at 10:53
See the settings in Photoshop via the Layer Styles.. simply make note of the colors you used and the options you used. Then to apply a gradient in Illustrator select an object and use the Gradient panel to try and mimic your Layer style settings. – Scott Sep 6 '12 at 12:13
well I am a noob, I mean I need to know, where to see the gradient settings so I can make a note, (I used ready made gradients) and where I can put it in the illustrator, sorry to keep troubling you – Umair Ibrahim Sep 7 '12 at 0:13

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.