New answers tagged

1

Elaborating on @xenoid's comment: What a path is What you see in your second screenshot, shown as circles joined by lines, is a path. Paths can be used for a lot of things, like creating reusable shapes, etc. They define a set lines that can be traced, aligned (to), exported to a vector graphic (like .svg) and used to create selections. What a selection ...


0

There is a save-for-web plugin that gives you a more direct feedback on size and appearance when exporting images. The chroma sub-sampling is indeed the setting that gives the strongest file size reduction for a given visible image alteration. On a dense display (or if the image is scaled by 50% or a regular display) the quartered chroma should not be ...


0

Working with symmetries and the flip tool you can avoid some work. You can use the multi-replicate script to copy-rotate your element as many times as necessary. You can use the dial-marks script to create the dual marks directly (as paths, then Select>From path and bucket-fill. See discussion here. Not that this kind of graphic is best done with vector ...


0

The standard text-along-path puts the text left-justified on the path. When the path is a circle (99% of the uses) this is not a problem since the text path can be rotated around the circle center. But it's a major blocker for the remaining 1%. There is however a script that does text-along-path but gives you more formating options (in particular, you can ...


1

I don't have the slightest idea of how you acheived that result - I just did the same thing, both in GIMP 2.8 and on a recent build of the development branch - and in both versions I got essentially the same image after mapping a white-to-black gradient to a white-to-black gradient as you did. Colors-Map->Gradient Map is the filter to use. I tried to ...


1

Yes you can do this you will lose some stuff in rounding errors and dynamic range. just subtract the image from the background. Tough it does not seem like your operation is add. its possibly add plus a channel normalization. But yes i can reverse this by subtracting the mask and re normalizing the levels. Image 1:B-d Image 2:B-d + Normalized levels ...


3

The solution is easy, do a selection so that the color-to-alpha only applies where it matters: the background and the edge pixels of the outline. On a clean picture, that's wand-select the background (regular threshold) which won't select the outline (it will usually stop one pixel before) and then Select>Grow by two pixels to include the border pixels. ...


2

Hum. You are mixing too much issues, because you recognize you are still noob. Yoy feel the photos are not too good, but you do not know where are the errors. A bad result can be on several levels, let us call them steps. The photo a) The photo was taken with bad light conditions. Non flatering light. b) The photo has technical errors that can be ...


2

Two basic things to check (Gimp): exposure is about correct: Windows>Dockable dialogs>Histogram: the graph should be "balanced", and reach both ends of the range. If it seems collapsed on the right the picture is overexposed, on the left the picture is under exposed. color balance is about correct: spot an element of the picture that should be gray or ...


3

For that specific brush you can't. Image brushes(*) are of two kinds: color or grayscale. The color ones are replicated verbatim, and so enforce their own colors. The grayscale brushes(**) work like (inverted) opacity masks for the foreground color, the black indicating full opacity and the white full transparency. What you can do is edit the brush ...


0

The best way to fix images like this is by using layer a mask: a layer mask is a grayscale drawable that is attached to the image, and when turned on, black points on it imply in transparency on the layer, and lighter gray shades imply more opacity up to white which means full opacity. The transparency provided with masks is in addition to the transparency ...


0

Another solution: Alpha to selection Select>Save to channel Duplicate the channel Optional but recommended: make your current layer invisible, add a white background, and make the duplicated channel visible Select the channel copy Filter>Generic>Erode (this will remove the one-pixels spots) Add more erode steps if you want to remove bigger spots Do the ...


0

You should have avoided the problem by using another technique to extract the flower from its background (this would have also avoided the blue rim). Typically on such shapes using a Path gives good results.



Top 50 recent answers are included