Tag Info

New answers tagged


I'm surprised no one has mentioned hamburgefons, a word which was used in type samples of the 70s and 80s by some of the big foundries. It was what I was taught to use in my two type design courses. The fact that it looks like a legible word even if it's not gives you a good feel of your font to be and letter space. It also contains most of the basic ...


This is an interesting question and I can't say that I know a simple black and white term for this phenomenon. However, in this thread (a discussion on the fall of the crossbar on the lowercase 'e' from a slanted to horizontal position in the transition of Humanist to Old Style) it is referred to as an oblique crossbar. A term that I think fits. (Read more ...

Top 50 recent answers are included