I want to recreate this pixel effect on an image in Photoshop. How can I do that?

enter image description here

  • 2
    This was most probably created by hand. Not everything is an effect. – Vincent Nov 7 '17 at 10:14
  • Looks like ASCII art, could have easily been code. – Jeremy Thompson Aug 29 '19 at 5:44

It's a kind of posterization effect, where the different graylevels are created with line-grids (brighter > thicker lines).

The crucial part is to find a photo with good contrasts and shadows, that will look good after posterization (eg 3-4 levels in grayscale). A flat lighting will not produce good results.

In PS you can test posterization via Image > Adjustments > Posterize. If the results looks good, you can redraw the different gray-level zones with the line grids. In your example the artist has very likely added some extra level of styling eg. to the hair.

A similar posterization procedure can be found in this GDSE thread.

| improve this answer | |
  • Hi AAGD. Can I draw your attention to this discussion on meta? We are trying to decrease the amount of lazy 'tutorial-on-demand' questions on the site, and one of the early signs is that answering them isn't a good idea. I'd appreciate your input on the matter. Thanks! – Vincent Feb 16 '18 at 10:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.