I've been trying to achieve this black and white distorted text effect behind the green SUNDAY NOVEMBER 26th letters with no succes.

I'm specifically struggling trying to duplicate the letters in this black and white stripe fashion. They seem to turn gradually into the neighbour letters as they get closer i.e loosing the S letter shape as it gets closer to the U letter.

I've tried distortion effects like shear, and I've been playing around adding several strokes at a time. I've also tried copying and pasting multiple times the same letter next to each other but it gets nowhere near the desired effect.

I apologize for my poor English, I really wish I could explain myself better! I'll try come back and edit as many times as needed. Thank you for your time.

text effect

  • 1
    Most likely via a plugin.
    – Lucian
    Commented Nov 27, 2017 at 15:02
  • Does it have to be exactly the same, or are you happy with some kind of random glitch effects? If so try this online generator: snorpey.github.io/jpg-glitch
    – Billy Kerr
    Commented Nov 27, 2017 at 15:33
  • 1
    I finally got a reply from the person who made it. Turns out it was done with data bending techniques. A blurred text that got corrupted made the black and white pattern. Thank you for the replies!
    – Maa
    Commented Nov 27, 2017 at 20:44
  • @mercadona: Please do not answer questions in the comments, even if they are your own. It is perfectly acceptable that you self-answer your question.
    – Wrzlprmft
    Commented Oct 2, 2018 at 11:33

2 Answers 2


I would like to show my version. The result is almost like the image sample (I think). Using Photoshop CC.

1- Duplicate the text several times. Leave a master copy on top of the layer stack.

2- Select the copy layers and make a Smart Object. Change the Smart Layer to Darker Mode.

3- Filter > Blur > Motion Blur. Angle 0, distance 8.

4- Filter > Sharpen > Sharpen. Repeat it 8 times or something like.

5- Reveal the master copy and give it some color.

I did not test this but I think a lower resolution would give a more jaggy effect.

Image for reference:

enter image description here

enter image description here


Unfortunately, that was originally done with a script and a mathematical formula.

It sounds like you are trying to right way - you just won't be able to do it with the right script.

Maybe look for plug-ins that emulate old video effects?

  • Hi there, thanks for the reply. I got back from the person who did it and it was made with data bending tricks, apparently.
    – Maa
    Commented Apr 16, 2019 at 18:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.