I'm trying to find the term for a rectangle or figure made of rectangles of solid color, as found sometimes near the title on the front page of publications and websites. I have looked at various glossaries of page layout terminology and so far have not found the term for this.

Example 1: the black rectangle above the title (“The Word”) in the following image.

a sample page layout

Example 2: the neon cherry L-shaped thing around the title.

the front page of a publication from 2002

2 Answers 2


There is no specific general term for these.

InDesign has a formatting feature for this called Paragraph Rules, which can sit over, direcly under or below the headline and can have any weight from a thin line to a solid bar.

The L shape could be called a frame.

  • Well, I think “rules” and “frames” are appropriate terms
    – Cai
    Commented Dec 3, 2017 at 12:49

Sure there is a name for each of these elements, in Spanish at least it exists, in the image below I put the names in Spanish and the literal translation.

All these elements are included in what is called "grafismo" (graphism, graphics) within the page.

page graphics

  • Zócalos: solid color graphics touching the page sides bleeding, specially top and bottom rectangular shapes. Google Translate gives many options for zócalo, I don't know the right one for this case: plinth, baseboard, skirting board, socle, skirting, wainscot. Depending the touching with the bleeding side, it can be upper, lower, left or right. If the contact is in two sides: bottom-left corner socket.
  • Pastillas (pads): solid color graphics, especially the rectangular ones, that DON'T touch the page bleed.
  • Cenefas (valances): sockets and pads with decoration instead of flat filling.
  • Pastillas de texto (text pads): pad containing text.
  • Frames or text frames: the elements that surround a text without filling. If it's incomplete container or container frame.
  • Filetes (fillets): linear graphics.

Anyway, when there are doubts about the name of an element in composition and editorial design, imagine the description of the page by phone:

The Computing magazine cover has under the name an incomplete bottom-left red container frame

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.