a quick question. What is the correct term of this (see picture) on a font?

Moderat font

  • I feel like there are two different things that you've circled – Zach Saucier Dec 28 '17 at 16:48
  • Which specific part are you referring to, can you please elaborate a bit more. (I'm not really sure what you're talking about) – WELZ Dec 28 '17 at 16:48
  • 1
    @ZachSaucier I think its 3 different things. – WELZ Dec 28 '17 at 16:49


  • joint: gradual coming together of two strokes that meet to become one.

Could also be called the apophyge in some situations:

  • apophyge: small curved part, usually ¼ circle, which connects the main stem with the terminals or serifs.

Also realize you've kind of circled the joint of a tail, a crossbar, and an bowl/stem.

In the case of p or t, it seems apophyge may be more appropriate. But the tail would be a joint.

Ref: http://www.oert.org/en/typographic-anatomy/


The spot on the p: That would be a taper

enter image description here

The spot on the t: That's a cupped stem

enter image description here

The spot on the a: would just be a closed-bowl stroke where it meets the stem.

  • I think taper is referring the stroke of the P's bowl, not the connection to the stem And the t isn't a cupped stem because in the question's sample, it's not a full "cup", it's a crossbar and a stem -- with a joint. But then you can spell pair, pare, pear.. many ways as well :) – Scott Dec 28 '17 at 17:07
  • @Scott hmm good point. Then it's a bracket not an apophyge no? – Ovaryraptor Dec 28 '17 at 17:13
  • Hard to say because a bracket is generally on the stem/serif. Since what appears to be circled is the not the actual serif, but the stem/bowl connection... I think apophyge or joint might be more appropriate.. but I wouldn't really argue the point :) – Scott Dec 28 '17 at 17:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.