Are there settings in Photoshop CS6 to confirm and deselect for example a text frame when pressing escape?

By default escape cancels the editing.


3 Answers 3


This is for CC 2017, but I assume it's the same or similar in CS6.

Go into Preferences, and click the Type item in the menu.

Check the option "Use ESC key to commit text"

enter image description here

  • 1
    Unfortunately it's not at this point in CS6. There is probably no setting for CS6?
    – Malte
    Jan 4, 2018 at 14:13
  • @Malte have you tried the Enter key, as Scott suggests in his answer?
    – Billy Kerr
    Jan 4, 2018 at 15:09

Use the Enter key.

Not Return or ESC keys.

Adobe logic is that ESC means "never mind" or "cancel" and never "commit".

As @BillyKerr points out, Adobe did add a preference option to alter the default behavior for text editing in more recent versions, but that is not going to be helpful for CS6.

  • I've always used CMD+Return (Mac) to commit text in a text box. Also good for committing measurements or point sizes etc. in the options bar. (Though now that I'm looking at my keyboard I wonder if that's not just the shortcut for "Enter") Jan 4, 2018 at 16:30
  • @GoofyMonkey and Scott, CTRL+Return also works on Win PCs.
    – Billy Kerr
    Jan 4, 2018 at 17:09
  • 1
    The Command/CTRL+Return is indeed the shortcut for the Enter key... designed for keyboards without the Enter Key (Like Apple's wireless keyboard)
    – Scott
    Jan 4, 2018 at 17:28
  1. Esc to cancel
  2. Ctrl(Cmd)+Enter(return) to commit

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.