What is this effect called and what is the best free online tool to use to achieve this effect?

enter image description here

  • 2
    What have you tried? Why didn't you like the results? We are not a tutorial-on-demand site, please show us some effort.
    – Vincent
    Feb 1, 2018 at 12:36
  • i need free online tools. I can easily do this in PS or something. But i need something like generator for this effect
    – Skodsgn
    Feb 1, 2018 at 12:37
  • 2
    If you could replicate this easily in Photoshop, you should be able to do it in GIMP or Paint.NET, too. They are free.
    – user287001
    Feb 1, 2018 at 12:42
  • Please edit that information into your question. Comments are temporary and will ultimately be deleted.
    – Vincent
    Feb 1, 2018 at 12:45

1 Answer 1


This effect is called a kaleidoscope effect (or Busby Berkeley effect in film). To add to user287001's comment, GIMP and Paint.net are great free options if you're comfortable using Photoshop. Another app you can check out is called PicsArt, which has a pretty specific tutorial on the kaleidescope effect here. Here's a few more examples if you search this term on Google:

enter image description here The Busby Berkeley effect as utilized in 42nd Street (c.1933)

enter image description here
Marina Diamandis, from Marina and the Diamonds, shot by Tokion for Factory.

enter image description here
Kaleidoscope effect from the aforementioned PicsArt tutorial

  • Hi zeethreepio. Can I draw your attention to this discussion on meta? We are trying to decrease the amount of lazy 'tutorial-on-demand' questions on the site, and one of the early signs is that answering them isn't a good idea. I'd appreciate your input on the matter. Thanks!
    – Vincent
    Feb 16, 2018 at 10:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.