I have made a fan magazine cover with Gimp (Sunken novels):

enter image description here

I would like to imitate creases, cracks, earmarks, tears (maybe even coffee mug marks) to give it a used, worn-out look. Something like:

enter image description here

I marked the places of wanna be creases, earmark, tears and cracks with black marker. Any pre-made existing filters, script-fus, or maybe another software, web app, or simply a transparent PNG with the creases and tears which I can merge / blend onto the magazine coover?

closed as too broad by Paolo Gibellini, Luciano, zeethreepio, Lucian, ckpepper02 Mar 2 '18 at 18:51

Please edit the question to limit it to a specific problem with enough detail to identify an adequate answer. Avoid asking multiple distinct questions at once. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.


You could use a paper texture. Either find an old worn piece of paper and scan it, or find a texture to use online, then paste it on its own layer above the main image layer, and change the blending mode to Multiply.

For example:

enter image description here

  • As far as I understand: should I scan a worn-out booklet which has completely white / beige cover and has the creases, cracks, earmarks to use then the multiply blend mode? – Konstantin Feb 9 '18 at 22:12
  • @Konstantin - any piece of suitably worn/creased paper will do. – Billy Kerr Feb 10 '18 at 11:58

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.