How do I achieve the effect in the pictures below where the shape is defined on one side and the shape and gradient blur on the other? (I hope i'm even describing it right)

example 1 example 2

  • 3
    Please let us know what you tried, where you're stuck etc. – WELZ Feb 18 '18 at 17:31
  • 1
    It would depend upon what software you are using. – Scott Feb 18 '18 at 18:01
  • I believe you are a beginner who has no idea how to start. Regardless of coming downvotes I write one answer before the question is closed. – user287001 Feb 19 '18 at 7:09
  • Yeah you're right @user287001! I was trying to think of ways on how I could do it on Photoshop or trying to search it on google or youtube but didn't know what to call it. Thanks so much for your help! – Aliya S Feb 19 '18 at 13:15

One receipe for Photoshop. The result is a bitmap:

  1. Have a simple shape with gradient fill on a black background:

enter image description here

  1. Apply Filters > Blur > Radial Blur > Spin, put the spin center near one edge of the shape

enter image description here

  1. Apply Filters > Blur > Radial Blur > Zoom

enter image description here

  1. Make a selection with polygonal lasso tool and clean the edge. Note that the blur covers large area, have a wide selection

enter image description here

  1. Duplicate the shape layer to have enough density

enter image description here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.