I'm seeing a guy on YouTube making a heightmap for sand dunes, using Gimp and Photoshop.

In Gimp > Filter > Generic he has this tool called "Erode"

enter image description here

Which accomplishes the following

enter image description here

I played around a bit with Photoshop filters but didn't find it. Do you how I could achieve something similar?


Reading of decription of erode in the gimp manual. Leads me to conclude that erode is just 1 px (square) filter → other → maximum. Looking at the video its either more likely minimum or he reverses the image after some applications of the effect.

But yes using maximum and then eventually reversing the image produces atleast mostly the same effect.

  • How so reversing the image? Ok, I played around with maximums and minimum, it does look more like his in the video, thank you :) – RealAnyOne Mar 6 '18 at 15:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.