Let's say i have an icon in grey scale, and now I want to change it into a certain green tone instead. The icon is anti-aliased around the edges, so it doesn't look too rugged, and I want to keep this anti-aliasing, but now in a green scale.

Basically I want to define that what was black should now be a specific green, and every lighter shade of grey should be an equally lighter shade of green.

Like the scale shown here, I'd like to change the scale of an image from [black to white] to [green to white]

How is this possible i Photoshop? Am I right, that this could be called a monochrome image?


It seems that "Gradient Map" does exactly this. Image -> Adjustments -> Gradient Map.

Here I've applied a Gradient Map Adjustment Layer to the grey scale

  • A cautionary note: this technique will not produce a true monotone in the printing press sense, i.e. an image that can be reproduced with a single coloured ink. But that is one for another question.
    – e100
    Oct 2, 2012 at 11:46

2 Answers 2


Gradient Map Adjustment Layers are awesome, precise and exactly what you're after.

Gradient Maps map the underlying image's brightness to a point on the gradient. This means you can choose exact colours for highlights, midtones and shadows.

Gradient Map Adjustment Layer

Do I love Gradient Map Adjustment Layers? YES. There's many ways to do something like this in Photoshop, but none are as easy or precise as a Gradient Map.


Hmm add a layer style with either a gradient or color overlay

  • 1
    While that will change the color tone of the icon, I find i hard to control the exact color scale that this produces. Oct 2, 2012 at 8:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.