Particularly interested in the illustrations of Alesha Sivartha


For example, would you say they are Victorian, or Edwardian, or something else? I'm trying to put together a design concept for a website and am finding it difficult to speak about.

  • They were strictly old school. No? – Stan Sep 17 '13 at 16:47

Victorian Engraving is a usable label. A few years ago there was a resurgence of this in digital form, for which Victorian Engraving-style was an apt moniker.

I've also seen it referred to as Industrial age engravings.

  • Thanks - I know this could easily have been too open ended for this site's intentions, so I appreciate you guys answering anyway. – tim Oct 4 '12 at 0:59

The first problem is, Victorian and Edwardian refer to specific time periods: they coincide with the reign of an English/British Monarch. This clearly marks them as British, but they are exclusionary terms.

The secondary problem is that those periods span multiple style movements. There is a huge stylistic gulf between prints and especially illustration of the 1930s and the 1950s (for example). Even more so between a print from 1780 and a print from 1850, since the technology gap is probably greater between those years than the 1930s-1950s.

As someone who has worked in this field for many years, it is more typical to say "mid-nineteenth-century British engraving." This happens to be ridiculously boring to style from a graphic design perspective however.

Classification starts with either time period and then nationality, or nationality then time period.

The alternative is to be specific about the movement: "Romantic", "Pre-Raphaelite", "Art Nouveau" etc.

  • Yeah - I wasn't very specific in my question. Thanks for your feedback nonetheless. – tim Oct 4 '12 at 1:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.