I have an image that I am trying to fade on the right side in Photoshop CC. I created a layer mask on the image and applied the gradient. Looks okay but I want to fine tune the gradient look. I cannot find a way to edit the gradient that was applied. The only way I can figure is to delete the gradient, adjust the gradient then keep reapplying. There has to be a way to edit it once it is applied so I can have a live preview while editing. Any ideas? I tried Alt+click but that still does not work.
Instead of using a layer mask, you can clip the layer to a gradient fill layer. This will allow you to adjust the gradient as you like.
- Create a Gradient Fill Layer
- Move the layer you want to fade to just above the gradient fill layer in the layers panel
- Right-click on the main image layer (not the name, but the blank space to the right of the name) and select "Create Clipping Mask"
- Double-click the gradient icon on the gradient fill layer to open the gradient properties.
- Adjust the angle of the gradient as desired.
- Click on the gradient that is displayed in the dropdown (don't open the dropdown, just click on the gradient that is displayed next to "Gradient:" to open the Gradient Editor.
- Adjust the gradient as you like.