In DTP type applications, a rectangle with a pair of diagonal lines from corner to corner is used as a placeholder to signify blank space awaiting content, or not rendered.


example image from from http://www.sketchpad.net/quark-excel-chart-4.htm

Is there a name for this element?


It is simply known as a frame.

In InDesign you can create these with the Rectangular Frame Tool and in wireframing apps they are just called frames.

  • I would understand 'frame' to mean something more general (like a text frame). But this image searches seem to confirm this usage. Thanks! – Joe May 2 '18 at 21:33

In spanish is "marco contenedor": frame container or container frame.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.