I'd like to know how to make these in photoshop or fireworks, but with a slight preference for fireworks. If I can find a tutorial in photoshop, I can probably get it to work in fireworks.

enter image description here

What is this type of effect called? Is it a particular font they are using?

  • Dunno if it's a font or not. Assuming that it wouldn't be a long text or multiple texts and also assuming that I wanted to make exactly the same thing: I would probably go to the Blending options to set Inner bevel as a guide, and then use Pen tool to cut out the lines.
    – Joonas
    Oct 7 '12 at 20:34
  • Not the same font, but this commercial package do something near : Shades typography.com/fonts/…
    – benoît
    Oct 8 '12 at 9:49

I'm 99.999999% sure the example you posted is just a typeface that's like that. If you want to achieve a rough approximation in Photoshop, it's possible using the Bevel and Emboss Layer Style. The key is the custom contour.

Bevel and Emboss

The best way to do something like that would be to use a font with the effect baked in, or draw custom shapes... probably in Illustrator (it's far better at things like this).

  • Yes, Illustrator if Bevel and Emboss won't do it.. object->path->offset path is a godsend
    – Damon
    Oct 8 '12 at 2:19
  • Yeah. The Pathfinder panel in Illustrator is also great for this kind of thing. Oct 8 '12 at 4:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.