I saw this on the web, and was wondering if anyone have some experience on how to do it! It might be a well-known effect but I have no idea about it.

enter image description here

  • 3
    Hi, could you please edit your question to show your own work so we can see where you got stuck.
    – Ryan
    Commented May 22, 2018 at 15:41

3 Answers 3


Traditionally I've always heard such art called Contour Drawings.

It's merely a series of lines that follow the contour of a shape.

There's no automated method in any application to create this which I'm aware of. However, Applying a series of ever-expanding lines is a fairly easy thing to do in Adobe Illustrator.

enter image description here

In fact, with the proper set up, you can merely use a blend in Illustrator to create all the lines in one step.

enter image description here

  • I would say Op Art
  • Shutterstock/Google say Concentric Oncoming
  • In the book Principles of Two-Dimensional Design by Wucius Wong it's called Concentric Repetition

In Photoshop, from a Shape Layer, select it with the Shape Selector Tool selector

1 - Add a White Stroke aligned outside:


2 - Add an Outside Black Stroke Effect to the layer:


3 - Duplicating the layer, change the Shape Stroke Width on each lower layer:



Use black and white sequential outlining under Edit. You can switch between sizes and black and white beginning at the center, the effect can be achieved by alternating color and width. (This is a low res example.)


  • Any chance you know what it's called? Commented May 22, 2018 at 16:01
  • @LateralTerminal I would say Op Art, but Shutterstock/Google says Concentric Oncoming.
    – user120647
    Commented May 22, 2018 at 16:40
  • @lateralTerminal What Daniello suggests, or, Concentric Shaping Commented May 22, 2018 at 17:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.