I suppose the very first question to ask if if Inkscape or Illustrator have internal functions for this automation. If not, would something like Python make sense?
I'd like to write a small web app that would allow me to set a few variables and auto-generate a file I can import into Inkscape or Illustrator. In my most simplistic example let's try this pattern as the input...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I'd like to be able to define variables for
- Length of each dash
- space between it and the next dash
- space between lines
- Dash offsets (start point for the next lines dash pattern, so it is either alternate or inline)
- x length for file (e.g. 6cm wide)
- y Length for file (e.g. 6cm Tall)
Aside from the simple dash I'd like to eventually give the program a bit more complicated patterns Perhaps fonts or parametric designs that would repeat).
Can anyone suggest a good efficient way of doing this? I haven't found anything already built out there but perhaps I'm looking in the wrong places.
All suggestions welcome.