Anyways, please does anyone know how to achieve this "textured effect" (don't really know what its called. Featured on this banner.

I know it's basically a transparent purple layer with some kind of image at the bottom. I just can't quite figure out which exactly.

web banner

  • I don't understand what you're after.. the purple gradient striped background or the cast shadow under it? Have you tried anything? – Scott May 31 '18 at 0:50

What Billy Kerr has so correctly outlined doesn't lend itself to sharing a HD image of file... He's saying you set up a simple gradient fill on one layer, create a new layer above, and then create a simple pattern fill on that layer with diagonal lines. In Photoshop, you would choose Edit>Fill, and in the subsequent pulldown for what you fill with, move from colour to Pattern. Photoshop ships with a boatload of patterns to begin with, and what Billy is saying is that this is just a basic diagonal line pattern which is in the Web Patterns library already with generic Photoshop.

Here's what that looks like in process:

enter image description here

Once you have that pattern fill on the layer above your purple gradient, you can choose one of many methods to get your overlay effect: as Billy suggested, you can invert and use normal transparency, or you can (as I did) leave the pattern fill as-is and choose the Multiply transparency mode, in my example set to 25%.

The nice thing about this approach is that it remains easy to reapply the gradient on the underlying layer with either a different direction (as shown in your envato examples) or a different set of colour stops, all whilst keeping the same graphic language by dint of your pattern fill over the top: perfect for multiple related pieces.

  • 1
    Can't believe you took the stress to write all this ...Thanks a mill !! Really appreciate this :) – user122061 May 31 '18 at 15:10

Looks like a simple gradient, with the "stripes 48x48" pattern fill on a new layer, inverted, reduced opacity, then rotated -45 degrees.

enter image description here

  • Can you please explain how I may go about creating this pattern in gimp or Photoshop or preferably an Hd image of the file will do wonders :) thanks – user122061 May 31 '18 at 14:18
  • @user122061 HD is a video format. It's not really used in Photoshop or GIMP for still images. Just create the image bigger, with more pixels. A typical HD video image is 1920 x 1080 px. As for how to do it, I already covered that in my answer, and the other answer already goes into more detail. – Billy Kerr May 31 '18 at 18:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.