How can I make a similar-looking collage automatically with a vector output? I am open to any software, web application or plug-in.
The closest in Illustrator made with several Pattern Brush
- Make many pattern brushes with three figures as shown in the gif
- Press Alt and drag to the brush panel different figures to replace the brush end and start
- Make short horizontal segments inside the main shape where the figures will be, or make just one segment and after testing it with the brush, duplicate it several times. Short because each segment will have three figures.
- The segments must be in order, the lower down ahead and the rest successively back.
- Select all the segments and apply a brush pattern
- Select segments randomly and change the brush pattern
Result 100% vector. By the way, where's Waldo?
This is not possible to make it automatically on Illustrator. The closest option is to paint with the Symbol Sprayer Tool, but it is always the same object and you can not create the sensation of depth unless you are painting in layers and with different symbols.
Corel Painter has a brush type called Image Hose with which you can paint randomly based on a group of images from a Nozzle Library. It is not very easy and immediate, but as everything takes time to understand and get the possibility to create something as specific as the images of your question.
There were rumors about its implementation in Photoshop as a new Stamp Tool' feature, but until today there is nothing.
Here a video demo:
The Corel how to use the Image Hose brush explanation (3 pages):
A tutorial on this link:
The resulting image from Painter will not be vectorial, it's a bitmap based application.