This seems simple but I need to insert a black-and-white smily face similiar to this image. Are there any glyphs like this on the Mac. I got this from Microsoft Word it automatically does it when you type :)

enter image description here

  • 3
    It's just a font.. like Wingdings or Webdings. – Scott Oct 14 '12 at 23:34

The smiley glyph in Word is a streamlined mashup of AutoCorrect and Wingdings. Chances are really good that you have Wingdings (since you have Word), so you can insert it via the Glyphs panel as needed. Other fonts sometimes have smileys; check the glyphs palette for each font to see what's available.

As an alternative, you could draw your own smile in InDesign and then just copy and paste that inline while you're typing.


Actually, there's a Unicode equivalent of about every Wingding in the Wingdings font. Check out this site:

☺ 9786 U+263A White smiling face


The capital letter "J" in Wingdings is the smiley face. :)


To revive this question, another option is to use an icon-font like Font Awesome which has a load of useful icons, including a smiley. This can be used in combination with the glyphs panel in InDesign.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.