I know it's not possible in CS5, now we have CC with more functions so does anyone know if there is a button to centre type vertically in a text box in Illustrator CC?

I am creating lots of templates with text boxes that have many different numbers of lines and are being edited frequently so type needs to sit in center of box vertically automatically. The workarounds in other threads do not help me, for example selecting the boxes elements above and below them to centre each time content is updated is not an efficient method as there are over 30 text boxes multiplied by 25+ templates.

QUESTION ANSWERED: This functionality is not supported in Illustrator CC.

Many thanks.

  • It is possible to do with scripting, but it is far from ideal. I am also in search of a method for doing this in a more native way.
    – Silly-V
    Jun 25, 2018 at 4:31
  • 1
  • It's different, we are now asking if functionality exists in CC. Jun 25, 2018 at 21:13
  • 1
    The question is not that different... and no, it doesn't unfortunately. However, as some people mention every time this question resurfaces, this feature exists in Indesign. — In your specific situation, I don't think there's anything you can do Illustrator to get past this issue. — I don't know how people typically handle this or if they just ignore the issue and leave recentering to the end-user.
    – Joonas
    Jun 28, 2018 at 6:51
  • Not that different, but different none-the-less. If i'm searching for info, I want to know the functionality of the LATEST software, not a program that was released 10 years ago. That the functionality still does not exist in CC is the answer to my question, thanks. Jul 1, 2018 at 21:36

1 Answer 1


enter image description here

If you mean like this use Type on vertical path

If you mean how to get it to follow a specific vertical path use type on path after drawing the path w/ the pen tool

If you're looking for something else I'd need a better explanation

  • I think this image from one of the duplicate links I posted below the question describes the need pretty well. What he wants is to center the text just like in the second text frame.
    – Joonas
    Jun 28, 2018 at 6:54

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.