To be useful as stencils, stencil letters usually have cuts in letter forms to hold the interior spaces in place.

Is there are name for these cuts?

Stencil letter 'A' with gaps highlighted


That part is called the bridge. It connects areas that are cut out or sometimes called an island. The bridges are a thin piece of material that wouldn't be cut out.

  • Also "peninsula"? – aaaidan Jul 6 '18 at 21:52

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.