I have this image in Gimp where I need to select a specific color (namely the name circled in blue) to make transparent; however, I would like to limit the selection to just a portion of the image. So far I have been able to make everything in black transparent, but not just the name. Is there any way to limit the range? Any help is appreciated.
- Make a selection for the area of interest using whatever selection tool (free hand, ellipse, rectangle, path...)
Select>Save to channel
- Select you layer again (the previous operation makes the saved channel the active drawable)
- Use the Color Selector to make your color selection
- open the Channels list, right-click the saved selection, and
Intersect with selection
A variant is to start with the color selection, save it to a channel, do the area selection, and intersect with the saved selection.
- Make a selection for area of interest using whatever selection tool (free hand, ellipse, rectangle, path...)
- Copy that selection to a new layer (Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V, Ctrl-Shift-N)
- Make you color selection on that new layer
- Delete that temporary layer
- Activate the initial layer and use the selection