I'm on Windows with a Japanese keyboard. The normal zoom in for photoshop is Ctrl++ but on a Japanese keyboard the + requires pressing Shift so pressing it in Photoshop does not work. With or without shift it doesn't work.

What key combination works for "Zoom In" on Japanese keyboard on Windows?

enter image description here

note: here is the configuration screen

enter image description here

I can change the configuration to a custom key of course and get it to work but it should be working without configuration. It should be noted that Ctrl + = does not work either where as Ctrl + - for zoom out does work.

Note: I know I can alt scroll wheel to zoom. I also know I can click the zoom tool. I know I can open the navigator and use the slider at the bottom. My question is specifically about the keyboard shortcut.

  • The plus symbol requires Shift on every keyboard as far as I am aware - certainly on my British English keyboard. But you don't need to press Shift when using the Photohsop shortcut. Perhaps the problem lies elsewhere? Have you tried editing the keyboard shortcuts?
    – Billy Kerr
    Aug 21, 2018 at 8:29
  • Pressing ctrl + is not working. Neither is shift ctrl + nor any other combination involving +. I have tried editing the keys. I pressed ctrl + and it showed up as ctrl ; but told me that was already assigned to something else. Similarly it told me shift ctrl ; is already assigned to something else. For the time being I assigned it to some other key but it should work so I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong.
    – gman
    Aug 21, 2018 at 8:56
  • On a British English keyboard, the + symbol is actually above the = symbol on the same key. So perhaps if you try Shift+= then it might work. Failing that, contact Adobe or post on Adobe's help forum.
    – Billy Kerr
    Aug 21, 2018 at 12:32
  • I just had a look on youtube about Japanese keyboard input methods, and one of the videos mentions that sometimes shortcuts don't work unless you change the input language to English, otherwise the computer will try to input a Japanese character.
    – Billy Kerr
    Aug 21, 2018 at 12:46
  • 1
    This has existed since the dawn of time in Adobe products and affects non-English keyboards that require modifier keys to type out certain symbols. Like you said, you press the modifier key combination required to output + but it thinks you are pressing shift+ctrl+; instead and therefore it won't work, unless you make that the new shortcut.. As far as I know, there is no proper way to fix it. You can: change the shortcut (if possible. In this case yes.), find another way to do the same thing (ctrl+space+mouse click or drag - add alt modifier to zoom out) or script it.
    – Joonas
    Aug 22, 2018 at 5:15

1 Answer 1


You can just use Alt + mouse scroll wheel to zoom in and out in Photoshop.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.