As a seasoned design professional I have memorised most of my shapes....triangles, circles... even rectangles, but I need to do some research on this shape, and for the life of me I cannot think "what to google"! "Square with two rounded corners" isn't working!

Mystery shape

  • 2
    Square 2 rounded corners, rectangle 2 rounded corners
    – user120647
    Commented Sep 12, 2018 at 11:59
  • It reminds me of a particular shape of Christmas ornament Commented Sep 12, 2018 at 12:11
  • 1
    Reminds me so much of the Nokia 7600
    – Mehdi
    Commented Sep 13, 2018 at 8:32
  • @Mehdi - And googling "nokia 7600 shape" reveals the shape "teardrop" which I don't agree with at all! I think it's "leaf shape" like me shape I invented haha Commented Sep 13, 2018 at 11:49
  • @mayersdesign I have thought of it as a "double teardrop" of sorts, but most the time that means a tear drop within a tear drop when you search for it online Commented Sep 13, 2018 at 13:34

4 Answers 4


Leaf Shape

I found some results as Leaf Shape in graphic resources sites:




enter image description here

Vexel enter image description here







  • 5
    I didn't expect to like this answer as much as I did after search for a while. I the name "leaf shape" is emergent of folksonomy, rather than coming from a more formal taxonomy — but regardless I think this is the right answer Commented Sep 12, 2018 at 12:21
  • 1
    Thanks @Danielillo I think you've cracked it. You know "leaf" did vaguely occur to me when I was writing the question, but I didn't fully think it through. Sometimes confirmation from a peer is what's needed to firm up a concept. Leaf shape it is. Commented Sep 12, 2018 at 13:54
  • @mayersdesign Leaf is good in general, but your example is an extreme version that doesn't really look like a leaf at all, so don't feel bad for not making that connection. I might even call yours a "squared leaf shape".
    – JPhi1618
    Commented Sep 14, 2018 at 15:55

Microsoft calls it a Round diagonal corner rectangle. Here are the names of various rectangles (one can confirm this for oneself by mouse-hovering over these shapes in e.g. Powerpoint or Word):

screengrab of various rectangles


Given a squircle is a square with rounded corners, you could call this a "half-squircle"*.

* Technically the shape you mention does not fit the mathematical definition a squircle, but it's close enough to be called that by most people in the same way that people call things that are approximately circular a circle.

  • 9
    If you'd ask me to draw a 'half-squircle' I'd literally cut it in half though.. Not with the opposite sides still sharp corners.
    – Summer
    Commented Sep 12, 2018 at 12:17
  • 6
    What about semi-squircle?
    – Tim
    Commented Sep 12, 2018 at 13:19
  • 7
    If you'd ask me to draw a 'half-squircle' I would assume one of us is having a stroke. 'Semi-squircle' sounds even weirder, but more accurate in this sense.
    – J.E
    Commented Sep 12, 2018 at 13:57
  • 4
    I'd like to note that a squircle is not the same as the typical rounded square with quarter circle corners.
    – Emil
    Commented Sep 12, 2018 at 14:17
  • 7
    Just a side-note. I would imagine that talking about the use of "squircles" during a logo presentation to a board of execs would be met with confusion and laughter. It's very esoteric so I doubt this word would be readily consumed outside of design professionals.
    – MonkeyZeus
    Commented Sep 12, 2018 at 15:48

If it is a Rectangle then it is a 'ChamTangle' (pronounced: shamtangle) I invented this word back in 2013 for a Client's Intranet Project and i'm taking full credit for this 'ChamferedRectangle'

If it is Square then it's technically a 'ChamQuare' (pronounced: sham-cwah) but that doesn't sound or look anywhere near as nice.

Hope that clears it all up for future generations!

New contributor
Matthew Clements is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering. Check out our Code of Conduct.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.