I'm looking for the name of this style of striping, as well as how I might go about implementing it as, say, a vector mask. See below the image for additional thoughts.

enter image description here

Specifically, this striping appears to involve a pattern where each stripe section has a portion of negative and a portion of positive space. How much is negative/positive from section to section appears to wax/wane proportionally such that one end of the graphic has a mostly negative space stripe and the other has a mostly positive space one.

Ultimately, I would love to figure out some way to create a selection or mask that makes each section a certain width, and alters the negative/positive space by a specified increment from stripe to stripe. I would like to be able to create such a mask/selection pattern over a solid shape, and resize the pattern until it had the right look before applying it to the solid image and knocking out all the appropriate negative space stripes.

As of now, my best idea is to create a guides layout in PhotoShop to represent the sections, then manually create a guide within each section, moved by a certain number of pixels, then using those guides to make a big complicated selection, finally converting it to a path which can be resized. This idea seems kind of masochistic to me.

  • 1
    In illustrator: Circle, gradient, 1 thick black line + 1 thin black line + blend tool, object > expand, window > pathfinder - to cut out the lines from the circle shape.
    – Joonas
    Sep 19, 2018 at 21:26
  • @Joonas why do you need to expand?
    – joojaa
    Sep 20, 2018 at 6:06
  • @joojaa, you can't use pathfinder on a blended group as it is. Expanding breaks it down into just paths. Then you can use pathfinder to easily clip the lines out of the circle.
    – Joonas
    Sep 20, 2018 at 6:56
  • @Joonas why would you need to do that can you not use a clipping mask
    – joojaa
    Sep 20, 2018 at 8:08
  • @joojaa, I felt using pathfinder was cleaner.
    – Joonas
    Sep 20, 2018 at 8:16

1 Answer 1


Seemingly nearly same is presented already as a comment:

enter image description here

In Illustrator:

  1. Draw a couple of rectangles

  2. Make a blend, expand it when you are happy, ungroup, select the slices and make compound path or union.

No need to expand the blend nor make a compound path, if you want to transfer the slices to Photoshop without clipping them to any other form in Illustrator. Only select all, copy to the clipboard and paste to Photoshop. After pasting you can select the wanted object type and you can scale before rasterizing, if you want a bitmap.

  1. Draw a circle above all. No need to have a fill, it's green only to show it clearly

  2. In the pathfinder panel make an intersection

  3. Insert the wanted background, rotate, insert the wanted fill (here a gradient)

You can copy and paste the result into Photoshop after step 4. You can take it as bitmap, smart object, vector shape or path:

enter image description here

You can use it in Photoshop like any shape. here it's a rasterized layer mask:

enter image description here

  • I'm having some trouble getting to the end. I mostly stumble around in Illustrator, so that's part of my problem. I'm not trying to create the circle itself there, but just generate the line pattern which I can somehow get to PS as a vector mask to place over whatever shape I want. I've gotten the blend made, expanded and now have acceptable lines (which I made using a thinly stroked line and thickly stroked line per the comment). When I try to make a compound path, all the stroking disappears and I'm left with what feels like nothing but unstroked paths.
    – bubbleking
    Sep 19, 2018 at 23:18
  • @bubbleking I inserted how to transfer the blend to Photoshop. Start with rectangles or outline the strokes before blending to get areas.
    – user82991
    Sep 19, 2018 at 23:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.