I need to blend this photo into a square shaped flyer and don't know what effect should i use on th background to make it look like the photo.

This is the photo

enter image description here

This is what i've done so far

enter image description here

I really like the "old" pixelated effect of the photo but i couldn't reproduce it in Photoshop.


It's film grain. You can try to reproduce it yourself or sample sections of the photo to create the rest of the background.

I recommend the second method because it's fast and relatively accurate.

Here's how:

1) Expand your canvas

2) Select the empty area plus some of the background (as shown in image)

3) Content-aware fill the area (shift + F5)

4) Fix it up a pit with cloning, spot-healing, or patching.

enter image description here

Here's my result: enter image description here

You can see a lighter spot in the area above one of their heads, but this wouldn't be hard to clean up either.

| improve this answer | |

"pixelated effect of the photo" = film grain.

Easy to add in your photo editing software using a noise filter. Some editing software will even have a 'film grain' filter.

| improve this answer | |
  • In Photoshop CS6 my problem is that if i add noise it adds black pixels instead of white pixels, i have set the secondary color to white and still have the same behaviour. – Nicola Peluchetti Nov 3 '12 at 19:28
  • add noise to a new layer on top of your green. Use layer blending options and opacity to get it to match. – DA01 Nov 3 '12 at 19:58

Try checking out this tutorial. In a nutshell, it uses a cardboard texture and applies a multiply blend. You may need to experiment with different textures to match your image.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.