Learning to use Illustrator for the first time. I would like to cut out a the lightning bolt shape from the text behind it, leaving a transparent outline of the shape. I see many tips for cropping text from images but not the opposite. I have created this effect using photoshop but I am struggling to replicate it on Illustrator. Any help here is much appreciated.
Since I see that you have the text and bolt in different layers, you can simply do the following:
- If not already, outline the text. You can select the text and press CMD+Shift+O or right click > Outline.
- Select both shapes and go to the Pathfinder (If not visible go to Window > Pathfinder) and while holding the option key, click Minus front option.
- Horray! You've just created a compound shape out of your original logo.
Convert the text to outline (Command+Shift+O), select all elements, use the Shape Builder Tool (Shift+M) to cut out all the elements you don't want.
This only works if all elements are shapes.
- Select the text
- Convert the text to outlines pressing Cmd + Shift + O Mac or Ctrl + Shift + O Win
- Convert it to a compound shape pressing Cmd + 8 Mac or Ctrl + 8 Win
- Fill it with a color
- Select the compound shape and the shape to cut
- Pathfinder panel > Minus Front
Tip: when clicking Minus Front hold the Alt key to make a compound shape and keep both shapes.