A rounded rectangle but with full radius.

This cannot be a rounded rectangle because those are not fully or "perfectly" rounded at the two ends. This is more like an elongated circle? A flat cylinder?

I searched a lot, but among all guides or pictures that identify and name different shapes, I couldn't get this particular shape. The closest I could get was a stretched ellipse.

There are only two processes to get this shape as far as I know: the first one is making a long rectangle and making its corner radius exactly half of the height. The second one is putting two circles a distance apart and adding a rectangle between those. So, are these something like "perfect rounded rectangles" or "rectangular circles"?

  • 2
    I would call it "rounded stroke cap"
    – Vinny
    Nov 12, 2018 at 16:03
  • Yes, that seems like a good name. This is a stroke cap after all, while the stroke has rounded corners. But we specifically make this shape too, in general designs, using rounded rectangles and not strokes. This shape might be an important, big, and bold part of the layout. Calling it just a stroke cap won't be enough.
    – Abhimanyu
    Nov 12, 2018 at 16:07
  • 1
    I see... In this case, I guess "Stadium shape" as suggested by @Danielillo might be more suitable.
    – Vinny
    Nov 12, 2018 at 16:16
  • 2
    This was asked a long time ago on math.stackexchange math.stackexchange.com/q/539262/29335
    – rschwieb
    Nov 13, 2018 at 4:25
  • 1
    Ah, someone even pointed out a second math.se version below I was previously unaware of: math.stackexchange.com/q/5465/29335
    – rschwieb
    Nov 14, 2018 at 14:29

6 Answers 6


While perhaps not the "technical" term for it.. I see it often called a Pill Shape.


Stadium Shape

As a geometric figure.

A stadium is a geometric figure consisting of a rectangle with top and bottom lengths a whose ends are capped off with semicircles of radius r.

enter image description here

Sources mathworld.wolfram.com/Stadium.html / mentalfloss.com

Capsule Shape

Following @Rafael's answer, there are many results in Google as Capsule Shape

  • 3
    In the US I'm sure a lot of ppl think of a Baseball stadium.
    – Rafael
    Nov 12, 2018 at 16:25
  • 3
    Perhaps because of my primarily 3D design area of knowledge, I refer to this form and shape as a capsule - though that is most often applied to the 3D solid of similar form, it's also often used for the 2D silhouette of that same form. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsule_(geometry) Nov 13, 2018 at 21:36
  • 1
    I've seen it called a "racetrack" as well, same basic idea. Nov 14, 2018 at 5:48
  • The generic stadium is also known as a racetrack (Which can also be curved)
    – joojaa
    Jun 12, 2019 at 13:48

Obround is another alternative. See this question on math.stackexchange or the wiktionary definition.

Two out of Wikipedia's five stadium references use obround instead.


For me, it is a rounded rectangle just because the tool I would use is a rectangle and I would round it.

On a 3D model, I would use a sphere and move some vertexes.

But for non-graphic designers, I would call it a "Pill shape" Probably Penicillin pill shape.


A technical word for this kind of shape is Oblong.

See : https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/oblong

  • By definition, an oblong is more general term, not describing shape of the corners. It might work in some communities but be confusing in general use.
    – miroxlav
    Nov 13, 2018 at 15:41
  • 1
    @miroxlav the definition changes between UK and US English. Nov 13, 2018 at 17:26
  • Quote: "If you stretch a circle until it becomes an oval" you get an oval, an ellipse.
    – Rafael
    Nov 13, 2018 at 18:32
  • @PeteKirkham – it does, but which one exactly describes the above shape? I think neither.
    – miroxlav
    Nov 13, 2018 at 20:40
  • Agree that oblong has very large meaning but it could be a word for this kind of shape. Also there is no specific word for every trapezoid maybe there is none for an elongated shape without perfectly rounded corner. Nov 14, 2018 at 8:21

in addition to all the other options...

Sausage Body

Also, Discorectangle


Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.