I am using Photoshop CS5 and created a cylinder 3d layer (3D -> New Shape from Layer) from a seamless clouds texture. I wanted the image to be warped like a tube, and succeeded, but the tube is convex; I want to be looking at the INTERIOR surface of the tube. This is a common procedure in 3d modeling programs called "flip normals" or "reverse normals". How can I do this in Photoshop?

Extra notes:

  • This has nothing to do with generating a "normal map" for a 3d model, this is using newer 3d object features, which can map 2d layers to 3d objects, generated within Photoshop.
  • I can settle for a displacement filter that "wraps" the edges of the layer, but I don't see anything like that

1 Answer 1


Photoshop is not the best package for creating 3D objects, it's not a complete 3D editor. As far as I know, you can't. You can either:

  1. Create the tube using an extruded ring, so you have normals facing inside.
    1. Select a shape layer (a vector ring in this case)
    2. Choose 3D > New 3D Extrusion From Selected Path, Layer, or Current Selection.
  2. Get a 3D software and create your 3D shape there, where you'll have better control of the model. For a simple tube there are many free 3D softwares that would work.
  3. If you have an Adobe CC subscription: Go to After Effects, from there select File > New > Maxon CINEMA 4D File or Layer > New > Maxon CINEMA 4D File. You can then render your cylinder and re-import to Photoshop if necessary.
  • Thanks. I solved this by rendering a rotating seamless cylinder in Unity, back in November Commented Aug 19, 2019 at 9:22
  • Yeah sorry for the late reply, I don't think I saw the question earlier.
    – Luciano
    Commented Aug 19, 2019 at 9:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.