I've this image:

enter image description here

I'd like to softly "blend" the borders of the "grey" one, let it fade to white, so not a heavy separation between the two colors. Not sure how its call in Graphic Design; blend right?

How can I do in Photoshop? (I'm using the CS6).

  • How can I make a gradient between two photos? Or best: a photo and a background...
    – markzzz
    Dec 10 '18 at 13:27
  • Is this the photo you are working with are you looking for a general method to work on any photo? If it's just for this photo, I can think of many ways to recreate it (namely, using Illustrator) if you need this concept to apply to other (raster) photos, there may be other ways to do it.
    – WELZ
    Dec 10 '18 at 13:29
  • I need to apply to raster photos. Which "border" are not white, and I need to "grandient" the borders to white
    – markzzz
    Dec 10 '18 at 13:31
  • I guess blend would be the correct term then.
    – WELZ
    Dec 10 '18 at 13:32
  • Nice :) How can I do it? Maybe with a brush manually to the borders?
    – markzzz
    Dec 10 '18 at 13:33

You can select all the white (background) in your image using the Magic Wand Tool:


Then apply a feather to your selection by Right Click → Feather

Now adjust your Levels (only over that selection) - I dragged everything to the lowest.


If you make it a bigger feather, you will get a smoother "blend".

  • How do I apply a feather to my selection?
    – markzzz
    Dec 10 '18 at 13:48
  • Right click → Feather (I've updated my answer, sorry about that)
    – WELZ
    Dec 10 '18 at 13:50

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.