Is there a keyboard shortcut to switch between soft and hard brushes in Photoshop CC?

  • 2
    Brian, we tend here at GDSE to avoid questions which are both easily googleable and also available instantly within given software's online help (I found an answer for this in less than ten seconds) and it doesn't, based on your question as posted, look like any effort went into this query. I think it really would be worth your looking at How to Ask to get a sense of how we prefer questions here - the goal is to further your and everyone's knowledge and skill beyond easy tech support Q/A level issues. [helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/… – GerardFalla Dec 10 '18 at 19:01

There are keyboard shortcuts for adjusting the brush hardness up or down.

Use Shift + {/} for harder and softer

It adjusts it in 25% increments, pressing it four times will bring you to 0% or 100%.

You can also delete all the other brushes from Brush Presets besides for the 2 that you want to be able to toggle.

Then use Shift+</> to select the first/last brush.

There is also a keyboard and mouse combination for changing brush size and hardness.

Hold down Alt and Right Click + Drag;

  • Up/Down for brush hardness

  • Right/Left for brush size

GIF Showing above process
▲ Holding down Alt

(On macOS it's Ctrl+Option+drag)

| improve this answer | |
  • Is that alt/drag Windows only, or does it need setting up in prefs? I can't get Mac to do it with any key/drag combo. – Tetsujin Dec 10 '18 at 16:59
  • 2
    @Tetsujin I updated the answer, it's Ctrl+Option+Drag (not sure about left/right click though - you can let me know) – WELZ Dec 10 '18 at 17:02
  • 1
    \o/ ctrl/alt [opt] drag works. Only been using Photoshop 25 years & never knew that one, thank you ;-)) [it's left-click, btw] – Tetsujin Dec 10 '18 at 17:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.