It is possible to take an existing image which has black texted covered by solid red layers and remove that so the text can be seen?

For instance this pictute here is a screenshot with black text covered by red colour layered over the top. It's for the purpose of some competitive branding pursuits etc.
enter image description here

closed as unclear what you're asking by Ovaryraptor, Danielillo, WELZ, Billy Kerr, Luciano Dec 20 '18 at 9:58

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 3
    Which software are you talking about? What exactly are you trying to achieve? (Including images is very helpful.) Please edit your question and add the missing info. – WELZ Dec 19 '18 at 15:49
  • 1
    It's still pretty unclear. The way you describe what you want makes it difficult to understand. Do you mean you want to remove the red part of that image? – Joonas Dec 19 '18 at 18:54
  • 1
    The image you have added doesn't show red covering the text, it shows a clear gap, implying the red is 'behind' the text [whether or not it's a separate layer or merely a visual representation] – Tetsujin Dec 19 '18 at 20:28

based upon -- "black texted covered by solid red layers and remove that so the text can be seen" -- Ill assume the use of the word "layers" here is referring to the apparent visual stacking of elements, not actual application-based layers like in Photoshop. Your "sample image" makes little sense because it clearly shows a red color with black text on top of it. There's nothing covered there at all. Except possibly the red area. So....


If the image is a flat file without any existing actual layers (like a jpg, png, gif, etc), all pixels have been merged and flattened. JPGs, PNGs, GIFs, et al do not have "layers" Everything is on the same pixel plane and there is no "stacking" of anything.

There is nothing behind the red area to "reveal" or see. Whatever may have been there when the image was created is removed when the pixels are merged and a non-layered image is saved, such as a jpg, png, gif, etc.

Television shows such as CSI have done a disservice by misinforming many. You can't "remove that car from the photo so you can see the license plate behind it". Pixel-based formats don't have any layers and it is impossible to arbitrarily remove elements in order to see what you think should be behind that element.

  • Forensically, there is security.stackexchange.com/questions/184099/… & related links, but for your average user you nailed it. – Tetsujin Dec 19 '18 at 20:35
  • However all bets are of if the image is a pdf – joojaa Dec 19 '18 at 20:56
  • Well that's kind of a different situation. If the color overlay is applied externally to the base image, then yes it can possibly be removed, but if the color overlay is saved and embedded as part of the image, there will be no variations to detect :) – Scott Dec 19 '18 at 20:57
  • Not all bets @joojaa :) it merely depends if the overlay is added in the PDF over text or is part of an embedded image within the PDF :) – Scott Dec 19 '18 at 20:58
  • 1
    PDF covers a multitude of sins... & internal formats... some of which can reveal the sins ;) – Tetsujin Dec 19 '18 at 21:03

Change the blend mode of the red layers to multiply. Most editing programs can.

Or if you do not want to see red at all, turn off the layer or make it transparent.

  • I admire your spirit & determination... but I'm still waiting for the OP to tell us it's a jpg ;) – Tetsujin Dec 19 '18 at 17:32
  • "black texted covered by solid red layers" That is... was the point before the edit and the image... – Rafael Dec 19 '18 at 18:19
  • I know... but I work customer support for a living... what is said & what is meant often are separated by a large chasm of misplaced 'jargon'. ;) – Tetsujin Dec 19 '18 at 18:31

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.