I'm looking to make the entire letter solid. I want to complete the grungy white space and fill it out with solid black. Is there a simple way to do this?

enter image description here

  • Are these actual fonts? Is it a path? Is it a raster image? Do you want to make a new font family? Do you have the licence of the font? – Rafael Jan 19 '19 at 3:38

For the bulk of it....

Select only the outer path and that counter (hole) where the strokes cross. You'll have to use the Direct Selection Tool (white arrow). Just click-drag outside the shape until you barely touch the edge.

Choose Object > Lock from the menu.

Still with the Direct Selection tool, click-drag across everything.

Hit the Delete key.

Choose Object > Unlock All from the menu.

That will remove all the internal paths leaving the overall shape. It will not do anything to alter the outer edge, but it will "fill in" all the internal holes by removing enclosed compound paths.

enter image description here

The outer edge would need to be redrawn or manually corrected.

| improve this answer | |

Only those holes, that 100% intersect with black fill, can be removed fast. But grunge on the edges can't be. There is only one way to achieve this with good quality – you need to draw path manually.

| improve this answer | |
  • My donr you consider tracing the path easy? – joojaa Jan 18 '19 at 6:46
  • It's easy, but if you have large amount of objects it would be time consuming. – sergeydyadyul Jan 18 '19 at 8:46
  • Drawing the entire english alphabet, if you have a model, does not take more than a day. – joojaa Jan 18 '19 at 12:10

A quick and dirty (not perfect) method is to bring in the image into Photoshop at high resolution (black and white works best). Then apply a good amount gaussian blur to it. Then, apply a Threshold adjustment layer and play with the level. It will make it solid, but you will lose some detail. Then you can use the Burn or Dodge tool on the areas of the font you want to make thinner or heavier.enter image description here

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.