In scans of early printed books which use an italic type, I've sometimes seen an alternate letter form used at the end of a line where some extra space needs to be filled up. This alternate form ends with a long baseline swash to fill up the extra space. I can't find an example of this from an actual book, but these alternate characters look like this "m" from a sample of Cancelleresca Bastarda:

swash example

Is there a more specific name for this type of swash, which is more for filling up space than for ornamentation, which can extend a long distance when necessary, and which sticks to the baseline more than a decorative swash would?

1 Answer 1


Terminal Swash

Initial swashes should only be used at the beginning of a line or word, while terminal swashes work best at the end of a line or word.

enter image description here

Source creativepro.com

enter image description here

Matahati Script Font from Behance

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.