I need to find a graphic term that allows me to do a search of mixed split images with a clear division, no matter the type, especially photos. I don't find anything that fits, I tried with split images, double exposure, double images, divided images (which shows me a picture of Donald Trump...)

Double exposure is the closest but the type of blend is a fade, I can't find the adjective for a geometric or precise cut.

A simple sketch of the image type I'm looking for.

enter image description here

I just need the term to make a specific search and look for more examples like the one below, it's like a video transition frozen frame:

enter image description here

In other words, if I use this:


to make this:


what's the name of the resulting image?

In zeustudio.com they call it Photo Masking Cutouts, but Google Search doesn't show much results.

Photo Masking Cutouts

George Chamoun use a custom name for a specific project: Iconatomy, but it's the same idea


Add after the answer:

In relation to the valid answer I found animated Wipe Gradient Transition examples in monzoon.com

  • Anything, images in general, I just need the term to do a search. I will add another example.
    – user120647
    Jan 31, 2019 at 15:17
  • Question updated...
    – user120647
    Jan 31, 2019 at 15:22
  • A specific subset of these images are comparison image sliders Jan 31, 2019 at 15:28
  • Yes, it's pretty close, except for the slider. I'll try it anyway.
    – user120647
    Jan 31, 2019 at 15:31
  • Split portrait pictures returns results similar to your first set of images Jan 31, 2019 at 16:53

5 Answers 5


You could try the term ‘Linear Wipe’


I don't think that is a double exposure concept... it is just a

"Before and After"

But of course, the initial concept might be used as anything you want...

It also can just be one of the simpler examples of a collage.

  1. Split Screen
  2. Before After
  3. Photo Stitching
  4. Image Splicing

Works for me when searching for images in all the major stock photo websites.


The practice of combining separate images into an unexpected new composition is sometimes referred to as Exquisite Corpse or Picture Consequences (i).

Exquisite Corpse was originally a Surrealist word-game where a player would write down words, hand it to another collaborator who would then complete the sentence.

A collage technique derived from this uses imagery instead of words. Sections of photographed subjects or drawings are combined together into one unique result (ii).

Here are some examples (iii): enter image description here

i. Brotchie, A. and Gooding, M. (1995). A book of surrealist games. Boston: Shambhala Redstone Editions.

ii. Ambrose, G. and Harris, P. (2011). Layout. Lausanne, Switzerland: AVA Pub.

iii. Honolulu Museum of Art (2015). Exquisite Corpse [Accessed 28 May 2019].


The final product as a noun (not the process as a verb) may be called:

  1. Photo Montage
  2. Collage
  3. Transformation
  4. Composition
  • Why not include this in your original answer? Feb 1, 2019 at 19:03
  • b/c @Danielillo edited his original question. He clarified that he is looking for a noun and not a verb. Additionally, if he already read the initial post, edits may go unnoticed as readers scan the page for new answers. He may not recognize that I added some bullets.
    – jhurley
    Feb 1, 2019 at 21:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.