I have found some examples where the thumbnails and the background of the following YouTube videos has these characteristics:

  • Cover album at the background of the video.
  • The cover is also in higher size behing the "smaller" cover album.

These are some examples I found:


sample #1

Rockefeller Street

sample #2

In the Shadows

sample #3

The Cage

sample #4

I'm not a web/graphic designer, but I found this design interesting. Did this kind of design has a name?1

1 I'm interesting in get any official documentation (if exists) about the name of this kind of design, because, looking in Stack Oveflow (about the grey boxes in YouTube), the only answer shows a name, but I don't know if this is a real-official name.

  • Hi and welcome to GDSE! I'm a graphic designer and when I see something I like, I just copy it. It seems to be just what you describe: A cover image, some text and a blurred, scaled up version of the cover in the background. What sort of additional information are you hoping to find? – Wolff Feb 5 '19 at 16:08
  • Videos use this same technique (either a static frame like this or one that updates as the video changes). Not sure what the name of the technique is, if it has a name – Zach Saucier Feb 5 '19 at 19:15
  • All of your examples in the question are by YouTube's auto-generated topic channels – Zach Saucier Feb 5 '19 at 19:18
  • ZachSaucier you are correct, previous examples came from auto-generated YouTube channels. @Wolff I was wondering if such technique has a name (but it seems it doesn't). – Mauricio Arias Olave Feb 8 '19 at 16:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.