Is there any way to adapt the levels of an image through a specific 'level' layer, like in photoshop ?

I find it very handy to have it as a layer.

See below, I'havent found a way to achieve that...

Levels and curves as layers in photoshop



Although there are no adjustment layers in GIMP as xenoid has already said, you could create a new layer from visible using Layer > New from Visible, and then apply levels to that new layer. At least that way the original layers are not altered and are still available if you need to redo the levels adjustment.


enter image description here


There are no adjustment layers in Gimp.


Need adjustment layers, but must stick with freeware? You have some luck. Krita has them. There the name is "Filter layer". In addition you can insert readjustable adjustment masks which affect only a single layer, not everything below.

Actually the system design in Krita is here and there more coherent than in Photoshop. For example you need smart objects and -filters in PS to have readjustable blur. In Krita it's a Filter layer or a mask just like levels. Unfortunately all filterings do not work as filter layers.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.