Data merge is not importing certain characters correctly. Namely greek letters (Ψ, Ω, etc). I've tried different fonts and still no dice.
Found the solution here. The trick was changing the encoding on the .csv to UTF-16
I was able to successfully load Japanese characters by:
- save the data file as .csv in excel
- take that excel doc and uploading it to google sheets (to remove all the junk excel puts in their .csv)
- Redownload the file from google sheets. locate the file and (on windows) right click the file and hit "edit".
- This opened the file in Notepad, hit "save as" and change the encoding to "Unicode"
- load the new text file in Data Merge
I hope this helps anyone who may be googling around looking for a solution!