the wave-like text.

How do I create these wave-like form in Adobe Illustrator/photoshop? I tried to use blended objects and applied the text on it, but it doesn't work.

  • 2
    What software are you using?
    – Welz
    Mar 15, 2019 at 18:11

3 Answers 3


Another way to do it is by using Adobe Illustrator's Envelope Distort.

See the step by step in the images below:

enter image description here enter image description here enter image description here

  • 1
    +1 This is how I'd do it.. but no need to create outlines. Live Type will work. Also.. after the Envelope Mesh is created, you can use the Warp Tool to move anchors around, often easier than selecting anchors. I didn't feel this warranted a strikingly similar answer though.
    – Scott
    Mar 15, 2019 at 20:49

Photoshop's Filters > Distort Displace makes something resembling. Here's a screenshot of raw text:

enter image description here

Add a layer, draw something with black, white and grayshades:

enter image description here

Blur the result if you want smooth bumps. If you want generally smooth bumps, but also a folding, leave or repaint a sharp edge. Here are only smooth bumps:

enter image description here

Save the file as PSD. The black-grey-white pattern must be the top layer. Increase the canvas size to keep all forthcoming in the image, say 10%

Goto Filters > Distort > Displace. Set the displacement length (=px) amplitudes (white=+100%, Black =-100%) and edge treatment options and select the just saved displacement map file:

enter image description here

The result:

enter image description here

Note that all shifts are made to the same direction which depends on the selected amplitudes.

If you want editable text, do not have raster image text, but use a text layer or many at the same time selected layers and convert them to Smart Object. When you apply Displace to it, Photoshop generates a smart filter. You can edit it's content like any smart objects without quality nor effect losses.

Not asked: The displacement effect didn't in this case affect at all the understandability of the text.


Not knowing the software you have available, I can tell you if I were doing this, if I were OK with a fast, but destructive workflow, I'd probably use the Liquify Persona tools in Affinity Photo.

Like so: enter image description here

Photoshop also has some decent Liquify tools which would enable the same level of control of warping and distortion.

Another approach in Photoshop would be to set up a white/black/grey map and load it into Photoshop as a displacement map - that could be a less destructive workflow. You select your type layer, go into Filters>Distort>Displace and this will tell you to either rasterise your type layer or make it a Smart Object (Smart Object better choice) and then ask you to point at a PSD for the displacement map.

I threw a super-quick diff clouds map that ended up looking like this:

enter image description here

Hope that helps.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.