I'm trying to apply a random colors from a palette of colors to the resulting fill-able regions. I'll first explain where I am and then what I'm trying. I previously asked about how to split a complicated line drawing into different fill-able groups here. Which is working beautifully. I'm still super new (day 2!) to Illustrator, but having fun so far.
Here's my steps so far:
- Open the .svg image
- Select the path of the line
- Click Properties
- turn off stroke, turn on fill to some color
- Hit the Divide button on the Pathfinder Panel (Window > Pathfinder)
At this stage it looks like:
My ultimate goal is to randomly color all of the fill-able regions from a specific color palette, but I'm stuck.
Here's the steps of what I've tried so far:
- Go to swatches
- Swatch Library> and pick something like Pop Art for example
- Click on the folder under the Pop Art tab and see that those swatches are added to the Swatches panel.
- I select all colors from that panel (by holding down shift)
- Select "Create new color group" folder from that, name it something like test1
- Select all in the artwork.
- Edit>Edit Colors>Recolor Artwork> Choose test1
- Click Randomly Change Color order
What I hoped to see: each fill-able region is randomly one of the colors from that palette. What I actually see: the whole thing turn to a single color.
Someone please help!
Hopefully I'm doing something obvious wrong, but I'm kind of out of ideas. I've also tried playing with whether everything was grouped or not, this didn't seem to help. I have also confirmed that the regions are separately fill-able as I have done that with the Live Paint Bucket.