I've seen some answers on graphicdesign.stackexchange.com where people have made small recordings of how they navigate menus to show someone where a particular item is located. These are usually animated gifs and not videos.

What software is being used to create these?

What is this type of video called? It isn't an animated gif because animations aren't being used. Someone recorded a small section of their screen and uploaded the recording as a gif.

Here is an example: Keep pixels crisp when rotating object?

  • 4
    One answer: graphicdesign.meta.stackexchange.com/questions/790/… There are other methods though. – Scott Apr 4 '19 at 20:36
  • 1
    Another possible duplicate: graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/q/83224/23061 – Zach Saucier Apr 4 '19 at 20:39
  • Unfortunately, not what I'm asking about. All of those require heavy lifting and multiple programs or exports out of a full blown screen recorder for video. – 4thSpace Apr 5 '19 at 3:07
  • Actually, as I read things, my link is exactly what you asked about. It generally can't all be done with 1 simple step. Perhaps you can edit the question to explain more, if none of these links are answering things for you? If you just want "something to do it for me" then I'm afraid you may be out of luck. – Scott Apr 5 '19 at 3:44
  • All different software can do it, but I use: Sharex. It's free and Open Source. It has a GIF screen recording function in 1 single step. Yes, these are called animated GIFs. – Billy Kerr Apr 5 '19 at 6:57

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.