I have been trying to find the name of this effect in this image

Specifically, how the image has been converted to white and a spectrum of colors that flow into each other. I would like to know how to do this, what is the name of this effect so I can Google it?

  • It's called a masked gradient, but when used with flowing illustrated characters it's called a Final Fantasy logo... or something that is trying to be one. :-D And I see your reference is the actual logo art for X. Super recognizable when used in this way, and not to be overused.
    – Mentalist
    Commented Jun 23, 2022 at 16:21
  • By overused I mean... well just do a Google Image Search for JRPG logo.
    – Mentalist
    Commented Jun 23, 2022 at 16:31

1 Answer 1


It's the Radial Gradient Tool

Double click on layer or right click and select Blending Options.

enter image description here

Check Gradient Overlay and change mode to Radial as shown in image.

enter image description here

Drag your cursor above image to change the location of your gradient and change scale slider to define spread area.

enter image description here

For further explanation, refer to the official tips

Hope you get the result of your liking :)

  • 5
    Why Are All Of Your Words Capitalised?
    – Pyritie
    Commented Apr 5, 2019 at 14:04
  • 1
    Many People in Marketing Use Title Case Indiscriminately - Perhaps This Has Long-Term Exposure Effects For Graphic Designers About Which We Should Be Concerned? Commented Apr 5, 2019 at 14:55
  • 2
    The answer would look even more leet with random case : dRaG yoUr CursOR ABoVe iMAGe tO CHANgE tHe LOcATioN OF YOur gRAdIenT AnD CHAnge SCaLe sLidEr TO DEFInE sPReAd areA. Commented Apr 5, 2019 at 15:05
  • @DesignPhoenix - could you please avoid typing your answers with unnecessary initial capitals. Let's try to show a good example to would-be designers who might happen upon your otherwise good answers. Thanks.
    – Billy Kerr
    Commented Apr 5, 2019 at 15:49
  • 1
    @LiefdeWen - Yes, I could easily edit it, but there's a point of principle here. Why should I waste my time fixing something the answerer could easily fix by not doing it in the first place.
    – Billy Kerr
    Commented Apr 5, 2019 at 16:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.