How can I create these types of gradient images in Photoshop or Illustrator?

I don't understand how they made these swooshes.

Gradient Gradient example I made Lower picture is what I came up with... but it's not the same.

Your help is much appreciated.

Greetings, Pim


2 Answers 2


On Illustrator use the mesh tool as Lucian say, you can move the vertex around. Try different grid density.

In Photoshop you can simply make some blotches of color and use the smudge tool. The trick is to test a different radius and pressures.

Danielillo pointed another method using a general Gaussian blur. How to create an image with complex gradient?


My guess is using Illustrator's mesh tool, create a random grid and play with it (see Youtube videos), then blur the whole thing.

enter image description here

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.